Thursday, December 23, 2010

Spotlight on the 'Winter Invitational' Artists

Sara Howell

Collage allows me to build my surfaces slowly. The transparency of the rice paper allows color overlay, which gives almost a three dimensional effect. The layering, the intricate structure and the color overlay keep me interested in the process of making my art.

I express my feelings and observations through collage. By painting, tearing and layering rice paper, I convey my interests in landscaping, abstraction and self-representation. Through my collage, I often suggest the passage of time. Old photographs dating back to the mid 1800's and early 1900's, old book pages and fragments of previous collage are used in these pieces. Wood block printed windows appear as the stabilizer often suggesting that the viewer is outside looking in or inside looking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment