Sunday, March 30, 2014

Opening this Friday

Artist's Statement

Claudia Tullos-Leonard




“If you see the world as beautiful, thrilling and mysterious, as I think I do, then you feel quite alive.” — David Hockney

I am enthralled by nature.  I am fascinated by the variety of shapes and colors and the fact that nature is constantly changing.  What attracts me initially is usually a beautiful flower or butterfly, but then I find myself pulled into the surrounding space by a decaying leaf, a spent seed pod or a new bud.  These contrasts captivate me. 

My recent work depicts water lilies, lotus and other plants that thrive in the lakes, ponds and marshes of the South.  A variety of factors including specific features, shapes, color variations or contrasts in lights and darks can influence my decision to paint a particular image.  However, once engaged in the painting process, I pay as much attention to the deepest space or what is under the surface of the water as I do to a brilliantly lit leaf or a translucent bloom.  The initial attraction gives way to the process of looking intently and painting the colors, shapes, light, patterns, complexities and abstractions that I find. 

Painting for me is about the pleasure of looking at things; and, being in nature literally feeds my soul.  With my paintings, I am attempting to share my experiences in nature with the viewer.  I hope the viewer feels pulled into the space to explore as I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment